Media Takes Note of the Reason Rally

The media is finally picking up on the big event!

MSNBC focused on the Reason Rally while talking about the demographics of atheists in the country:

The National Mall in Washington has hosted its share of rallies — some massive and iconic, like the famed civil rights march of 1963, which featured Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Nonetheless, a scrappy coalition of atheists say they will make history on the Mall next month by pulling together what they say is the first nationwide celebration of secular values — what one of the organizers called a “Woodstock for non-belief.”

“Non-religion is the fastest-growing ‘religion,’ while Christianity is shrinking,” said [Dan] Barker, once a Protestant minister. “There is something happening. The Reason Rally seems to be riding that wave.”

Meanwhile, NPR’s Barbara King seems to think Richard Dawkins will ruin the event:

By choosing words hurtful and harsh, Dawkins closes off a potential channel of communication about science with people who hold faith dear in their lives.

Dawkins is very honest about his feeling that/ religion and science are incompatible — and that science is superior to religion — and that’s just one reason we’re thrilled to have him speak at the Reason Rally. He has done more for our cause than just about anyone else — convincing many theists of the power of science — and I’m sure people at the rally will appreciate what he has to say.

Comments

1. dbunker says:

Not that Mr Dawkins really needs defending but come on Barbara King. If you think Richard Dawkins is “hurtful and harsh” in his comments, you need to get out more. If only Christopher Hitchens were still with us, for example, he may have been able to provide some much needed perspective for your observations.

2. Mark phillips says:

A movement like this was bound to happen over the last decade. The far far right have been doing all they can to destroy what this country was founded on, and place their views and beliefs above the wants of the people. I knew this would happen :) and I’m glad it happened in my lifetime.

3. Kevin McKinney says:

Yes, Come on Barbara… Hurtful words?? Sadly, far too many people of faith don’t even know what their faith teaches. How hurtful is it for their god to throw his own children into eternal flames for disobedience? How hurtful was it for Yahweh to kill every living thing on earth in a fit of anger?

Preposterous claims don’t deserve automatic respect. Should we revere a person who clings to that ancient chestnut of wisdom that the earth is flat? Get real!

I’ll take these words over scripture any day:

“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.” Thomas Jefferson

4. Barbara, please read one or two of the books written by Mr. D. I think you would have a different perspective with more information. Then, see you there!

5. Lea Robertson says:

I doubt I will be able to attend as I am working extreme hours. Im trying to put a career back together after my life being ravaged by the bad decisions that come along with religious convictions instead of basic reason. I’m looking into the buses, I will try. But either way I support the reason rally completely and if there is any way to be counted without physically being there please let us know!

• Mike D says:

Excellent Idea Lea, If people truly want to come out of the closet and be counted then there needs to be a master list of all the names of people who support this RALLY FOR REASON.

6. Gene TInelli says:

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change” – Charles Darwin

“The Bible says modern people are the result of incestuous relations Cane and his brothers had with their sisters. Science says we are all descendants of Africans. I believe science” – Richard Dawkins

7. John Revay says:

Barbara please! I love wearing combos of wool and linen and the bible says that I’m an abomination for doing so. That’s hurtful!