Nate Phelps Will Speak at the Reason Rally!

We’re proud to announce that Nate Phelps, the (estranged) son of Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps, will be joining us at the Reason Rally!

Nate severed ties with his notorious family decades ago and now speaks out in favor of LGBT rights and raises awareness of religion-based child abuse.

Nate Phelps
We are aware that the WBC plans to attend the Rally in the hopes of converting all you heathens… however Nate will be there to deliver a message to his family that one does not need to live a life of fear and hate; indeed, it’s possible to be a moral, happy atheist.

We’re happy that he’s on our side and thrilled that he’ll be speaking to the Reason Rally crowd.

Comments

1. nightwindelf says:

Speaking of the WBC plans to protest, is there any sort of plan in case they get violent? I’m not so much worried about some of the other churches, more so the WBC. They seem like the type that will punch you in the face if you don’t believe in their crazy myths.

• Craig says:

The entire point of WBC is to troll and make money off of lawsuits attacking their right to free speech. Best to ignore them.

• Candice says:

Absolutely correct. The Phelps are all civil rights attorneys. The dumbass true believers they send out to protest get the expected reaction and the Phelps sue for civil rights/free speech violations and watch the $ roll in. Ignore them. Having said that, even knowing this, when they protested Fashion Week of all things in NYC and I walked by, I still trembled I was so upset. So I don’t fault anyone for reacting.

• Brian says:

WBC won’t get violent. They are very aware of the laws, and will try to taunt you but won’t do anything they could actually get in trouble for. Somehow they feel this nation is going to hell (literally), but they are perfectly willing to take advantage of our freedoms to suit their agenda.

• Kendrick says:

Quite the opposite, actually. They’re all lawyers- They want people to attack THEM so they can sue to continue funding their garbage.

• Dustin says:

I have dealt with the Westboro Baptists before. They are in no way violent. You don’t have to worry about that.

• Tsu Dho Nimh says:

Their usual tactic is to taunt and goad until the other person loses their cool and gets physical … then they yell “OMG, I’m Hurt.” and either sue for damages or have you arrested.

So unless you can keep it really cool while taking to them, avoid them

• damoochie says:

They’re lawyers. They know better

• Cooper Minnis says:

There is 0.000% chance that WBC will get violent. They’re smart enough to know that their protesting days will be over if they do.

2. Jacob Watson says:

WBC won’t do anything. They’re very good at being super obnoxious and hate-mongering within their legal rights. They know better than to start anything that might get them in trouble

3. Suzie says:

While I can see how you’d think the WBC are the punchy type, they are more prone to making us want to punch them for their crazy myths. Which if what their whole deal is, actually. Most of the adults are lawyers (or think they know enough about the legal system to scam it) and will sue anyone who threatens violence against them. Which is why I’m so very much looking forward to the Reason Rally. Historically the atheist and the Comic-Con nerds (my other tribe) have had the best and funniest retort signs. Glad we will get to hear from Nate!

4. SDSD says:

The family is full of lawyers and WANT you to get violent with them so they can sue you. Sometimes I think what their doing is just a scam and not how they legitimately feel, and they do so just go get a quick buck out of angry people.

5. jacquelyn niebergall says:

I am So Genuinely happy to see that Nate will be there. This really warms me on the inside, because going with family and close friends. The idea of protesters has caused me great alarm of safety. I have dealt with them before at the funeral for a family’s children -they protested, and I’ve seen their potential for violence.

6. Bosco Bob says:

I hope the everyone at the rally holds “God Hates Shrimp” signs and essentially covers up the signs from the WBC whack-jobs.

7. Sure, they scare me on a certain level but I don’t think their presence should be a major cause for concern. I’m hoping to get some interesting photography myself. :)

8. Silverspirit2001 says:

I regard the Phelps family as terrorists, without the violence. Every time they get a reaction, even verbal, it validates their existence (in their own mind).

Truth be told, if you want to get rid of the Phelps clan, do not laugh, but ignore them completely.

9. Rocket Dog says:

We should all ignore them. They want attention, and denying them that will be the most damaging thing we can do. Just ignore them as if they’ve invisible; don’t even look at them. They want to get a rise out of people, so don’t fall into their trap.

10. Chris says:

Point and laugh, that’s what I’d do if I could go. Nothing bothers the haters more than not being taken seriously.

11. Fred says:

WBC is simply a bunch of deluded people operating under a visage of Chrstianity. They are more like a cult than anything else. Protesting at funerals…NCAA >>> No Class At All….

12. Nina P. says:

Rocket Dog is right. Ignoring any protester is the best thing to do. By not acknowledging someone you negate them thus stopping the flow of energy from them to you. Their power is deflated and you don’t feel bad. You just go on your merry way thinking and feeling your good thoughts and feelings. This is an exciting time, try not to give any of your precious wonderful energy to a negative issue. Stand tall and walk on and smile. To anyone who gets to go to this rally, have fun. I will be supporting from San Diego.

13. Mark says:

I’m behind you all the way Nate and am very proud of you!!!

Your brother, Mark

14. Karen H says:

In Solidarity up in NYS. sorry I can’t get sown there.
    I proudly have the IXNAY fish on the rear of my truck!

15. Karen H says:

sorry I can’t get Down there

16. cb says:

Westboro Baptist Church spreads its hate through picketing in our streets, provoking attacks, with abusive language and flag desecration, attempting to create a confrontation. This is not a church, this is a hate group. This is not about protesting, freedom, or God. They are in it for the money and the press; this is a family law firm. They are not a “church.” It is a scam. They go after anything that can get them in the news. This is a family of lawyers using this “god hates you” thing to make money. It is time for this scam and the hate to end.
    The church has received money from lawsuits and legal fees. For example, they sued the city of Topeka several times in the 1990s(this show has been going on for years). WBC received $16,500, and is pursuing another $100,000, in legal fees for a case won in court. The WBC is considered a nonprofit organization by the federal government, and is therefore exempt from paying taxes!
    Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church is shown admitting on camera that her oldest son was born out of wedlock. Hypocritical Phelps-Roper’s vocal condemnation on strangers having sexual congress outside of marriage while she herself was guilty of the same. They are NOT what they say they are! THEY ARE NOT A CHURCH!

17. mike says:

I was pleased with the turnout for the rally yesterday. The quality of the speakers, including Nate Phelps was excellent. I do feel as thought we (non-believers) still need to be civil as we “come out”. When gays come out and they “flame” and are confrontational, they are less accepted. There was a level of anger and crudeness yesterday was was unnecessary. We need to show people that we are truly rational and level-headed. Yes, I know that we are frustrated by the level of false “faith”, but we must pace ourselves while at the same time being energized!

18. cb says: