We’re Here!

We’ve started!!  I’ll be updating this page throughout the day as my Internet connection allows.

I’m sitting in the crowd watching Shelley Segal sing!  There are a LOT of people here and the crowd continues to grow.  Such a happy and nice crowd!

Seeing some great signs in the crowd…  They’re showing some on the big screens.

I’m about to head back into the crowd for pics for the website.

A little bit of rain but not much…

Walked among our awesome crowd; went to see the 8 or 9 protesters holding signs.

It’s training but it is not dampening our enthusiasm!  Dave Silverman is rocking the mic with his inspirational speech!

There are SO MANY people here!  Such a friendly crowd!  They don’t mind me walking among them stepping through the lines to get shots (and it’s not obvious who I am or what I’m doing – I’m just “some guy” to them).

More pictures added!!  I’m doing my best to keep them coming for you guys.  I’m guessing we have around 20,000 people despite the rain but that’s just my personal guess, not an official number.  I have no expertise in this so take that with a grain of salt the size of your fist.  ;-) Official numbers are in and over 30k people showed up!

Comments

1. kimsland says:

You don’t happen to have a video camera handy by chance?
    Actually trying to find a good live streaming of the event.
    Anyway, keep uploading pics :)

2. Eliza Lee says:

Can you pls use Upstream for live update?
    Thank you so much for sharing. Love you guys!!

3. Eliza Lee says:

It’s ok :) I’m still glad to see it.

4. Thanks for the photos! I wish I could be there.

5. Greg says:

So sad there is no live stream; even audio only. :(

What a missed opportunity to reach those closeted non-believers.

6. chromenun says:

The photos are spectacular!!! I so wanted to be there…

7. Andy says:

So glad there is still a good turn out despite the rain. Updates appreciated. Thanks

Andy

8. Gobblygoobly says:

No live stream? I want to see Mr.Dawkins.

• admin says:

Sorry I don’t have the bandwidth for streaming. technical problems. Doing my best.

• Gobblygoobly says:

Thats ok. The photos are great and I hope you’re all enjoying yourselves. I’m very jealous and wish I could be with you all.

9. Sarah says:

I so wanted to be there but was hoping it would be livestreamed. But I am glad to see the photos.

10. Sarah Robinson says:

Thanks so much for pictures and reports. My son is there with UCF Secular Student Alliance!

11. ann wagner says:

Thanks!!! Could you post some photos of the signs people are carrying? if they haven’t gotten too wet.

12. Nick says:

Very sorry I’m missing it. Any guesses on how many people are there?

• admin says:

There is a HUGE crowd. I’d say we have over 20,000 but that’s just one guy’s guess looking out fromt he stage and walking around. Don’t take it too seriously. We have a HUGE crowd, though, despite the intermittent rain. I’m so happy this has come together to be such an amazing success!

13. Alex says:

Wish I could be there!

14. Adtc says:

LIVE Streams (well, video and audio clips added as they’re recorded, but you can also tune in to the live streams which aren’t always available):
    (1) http://www.ustream.tv/user/davesinger88
    (2) http://www.ustream.tv/user/kermit_01

15. Jim Kovalcin says:

We just arrived at the Marriott overflow hotel at 3:12PM. Is there any point still go on to the mall?

16. Alexis says:

I am crying with happiness. Thank you, let these words of reason reach others far and wide, and let people who have long been silent speak. We are alive and we are many.

Let’s make these videos viral.

17. Adtc says:

I’m quite dismayed that Reason Rally organizers did not organize an official high quality professionally shot live streaming feed as well. I really hope the organizers are at least making arrangements to make a high quality professionally shot recorded feed available soon for those who missed the Rally or couldn’t fly to Washington/America to attend it. Thanks for making it happen!

• admin says:

Unfortunately we weren’t able to get our streaming solution working. I’m very sorry. As it is I’m updating and managing the site via my phone and tethering. Doing the best I can. Hope you enjoy the pics. More soon.

18. Sweet says:

Since it has gone so well, any chance of another rally next year?
    My daughter is there. She just cakked to say how peaceful it has been and how nice everyone is. AND that she just saw EddieIzzard, of course!

19. Sweet says:

Called, not cakked. (giggle)

20. KwamiFabu says:

Excellent photos!
    About the crowd: that would be an impossible figure, due to the fact that there were TWO other rallies taking place at the same time (Tea Party and Trayvon Martin). A bit of cross-pollination would be inevitable. Speaking of which, the cherry blossoms were at their peak at the Tidal Basin just blocks away.
    That said, turnout was tremendous, considering the weather. My daughter and I had a great time!

21. utku cem says:

Wish that this evet’ll be in all countries and “minds“.

22. DAVID K ELKINS says:

Thanks for the great pics! Wish I could have been in one. Next time.
    Looks like it was a big success. Want to be part of the next national gathering, so please keep up the good work and keep us all informed. Much appreciated. Take time, take care. -david

23. Kevin McKinney says:

Thanks for a great event! My brother and I came down from Philadelphia on a RR sponsored bus which was completely full. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed every minute, despite the weather. Thanks for posting the pics… We were inteviewed by one of the RR TV crews, hopefully we’ll see ourselves on the DVD! I was sad to hear there would not be a rally next year… we were already planning to attend!

24. Thank you to all involved in putting this event together. It was so great to be around so many intelligent, like-minded individuals. We never wanted to leave. I traveled nearly 2,000 miles to be a part of it and if you do it again next year I will definitely come back.

25. BTW, any plans for putting the Hitchens tribute online since there were technical problems? I’d still love to see it.

26. Morgan Christian says:

I’d like to know how a twenty(?) foot tall crucifix made of four by four lumber was permited in the assembly area. If this thing had fallen over people could have been killed or seriously injured. Not to mention the stupidity of allowing this symbol to be so prominately displayed during a national rally of nonbelivers. Yes it had a little sign on it that said something like the ten commandments should be sent to the dust bin of history. Aren’t the xtians allways trying to evade the dictums of the old testament? Now when pictures of this rally are shown there will be this latin cross out there to confuse the message.

Trackbacks

1. […] gathered on the mall, although most news reports put the number at 20,000. Here’s a link to pictures from the rally so that you can judge for […]